meteoblue offers one of the widest location selections of any weather service. You can find any place in the world, on land and sea. We offer several options for you to store (and even create) your preferred locations, so you can quickly access them from any device, and obtain the desired weather information.
This page shows you seven methods for storing locations found on www.meteoblue.com
Methods for storing selected locations
You have several methods to store selected locations on www.meteoblue.com. These enable you to quickly find any place in the world and see the related weather with one click. The following table shows an overview of the methods and requirements for using them:
|Favourites||FAV||Store and create your own locations on www.meteoblue.com||FAV|
|Last visited||LV||A list of the last locations which you have selected, updated continuously||-|
|URL-Bookmark||URL-B||URL-Bookmark stored in your browser bookmarks||e.g.|
|Homescreen Icon||HSI||URL-link installed on the homescreen of your device (PC, Laptop, Tablet, smartphone etc.)||-|
|Browser history||NAV-H||A list of the last locations which you have selected, stored by your browser||-|
|IP-Detection||IPD||Automated detection of your location, based on internet access point, only during first time access (if available).||
|Geo-location||GPS||Automatic detection of your location, using the GPS of your device (if available)||
All these methods allow storing a certain number of previously used, preferred locations. Some methods require special devices (such as GPS for IP detection).
The following table show the options that users have with these methods and the following usage options**):
- Method: location storage methods offered by meteoblue.com.
- Locations: number of locations which can be stored.
- Rename locations: possibility to give another display name to the selected location.
- Set altitude: possibility to give another altitude to the selected location.
- Decision: Decision maker for including location in the list.
- Modify: Ability of user to modify the list.
- Device independence: Ability of user to use the same list on different devices.
|Method**)||Locations||Rename location||Set altitude||Decision||Modify||Device independence||Comments|
|Favourites||50||YES||YES||User||YES||YES||Free of charge, needs registration with an email|
|Last visited||20||NO||NO||User||delete||NO||User can delete locations, oldest disappear automatically|
|URL-Bookmark||unlimited*)||YES||NO||User||YES||NO||Control through browser settings|
|Homescreen Icon||unlimited*)||YES||NO||User||YES||NO||Control through Device Home screen settings|
|Browser history||unlimited*)||NO||NO||Browser cache||NO||NO||Control through browser settings|
|IP-Detection||1||NO||NO||Internet provider||NO||YES||Usually, access node location (city) is used|
|Geo-location||1||NO||NO||Device||YES||NO||Control through device settings|
*) depends on your browser settings.
All these methods are free of charge and accessible to all users. Users can choose the option most suitable for their needs based on the criteria listed above.
Requirements for each method
The following table shows an overview of the options and requirements for using them:
|Method||Registration||Cookies||Browser URL||IP Detection||GPS||-||Explanations|
|Favourites||YES||NO||NO||NO||NO||Needs registration on www.meteoblue.com|
|Last visited||NO||YES||NO||NO||NO||On meteoblue homepage|
|URL-Bookmark||NO||NO||YES||NO||NO||Depends on Web-browser used|
|Homescreen Icon||NO||NO||YES||NO||NO||On PC Desktop, Tablet or Smartphone|
|Browser history||NO||NO||NO||NO||NO||Browser stores last visited sites|
|IP-Detection||NO||NO||NO||YES||NO||Depends on internet provider|
|Geo-location||NO||NO||NO||NO||YES||Must be enabled on device. Uses "pin" on homepage|
Some methods require special devices (such as GPS for IP detection). IP detection can only be controlled with special software, however this method can easily be replaced by the other methods offered.
If users do not adjust the necessary settings on their devices for this options, the following problems may occur:
- Every time I open meteoblue, the same location appears, and it is not the location which I last used, and want
to see. Possible causes are:
- You use a URL-Bookmark or Desktop Icon with a different location for access: change URL-Bookmark or Desktop Icon by selecting the desired location and saving it as new URL-Bookmark or Desktop Icon;
- Your internet provider access is located in another village and your PC has not enabled cookies for meteoblue.com, so the provider location is shown: Enable cookies and allow storage of "Last visited" locations, or register to mark "Favourites".
- Your PC uses automated GPS detection for meteoblue.com: de-activate the GPS-Detection.
- The "Last visited" locations have disappeared: enable cookies and select the desired location . They will now appear under "Last visited". Do not delete your cookies from meteoblue.com again.
- My URL-Bookmark or Desktop Icon does not work anymore:
- The name of the location may have changed in our database. Sometimes, this is necessary to correct unavoidable errors. Please select the desired location and save it as new URL-Bookmark or Desktop Icon;
- Your Bookmarks have been damaged: Please select the desired location and save it as new URL-Bookmark or Desktop Icon;
- You have changed the device and forgotten that you can not use the bookmarks from the other device on the new one: select the desired location and save it as new URL-Bookmark or Desktop Icon, or register and add Favourites, to be able to use the same location list from any device.
We hope these instructions help you to find the right method, and appreciate any questions on the subject.