iPhone - meteo4me
meteo4me is an App for the iPhone, which supplies local precision weather forecast for any place on earth.
This app can be downloaded in the Appstore.
Before using meteo4me, you can choose the units you prefer. Select "Settings" on your iPhone, and then meteo4me. Temperatures can be displayed in °C or °F, distances and altitudes in metric or imperial units. For more information on settings, see the bottom of this page.
When you launch meteo4me for the first time, a map with a few predefined places is shown. The meteo4me weather forecasts are shown in four different ways that complement each other.
- All your selected places appear on the map with an icon that shows the day's weather forecast with high and low temperatures. Pan and zoom the map to see the places you want. Move the day slider at the bottom of the screen to see the weather changing day-by-day. Tap an icon; it will expand and show its place's name. Tap it again and it will revert to its compact form. Tap the '>' in the expanded icon to navigate to the DAY OVERVIEW or METEOGRAM pages of that place and day.
- WEEK OVERVIEW
- This is a day-by-day overview of the weather forecast for all your places for the six coming days. For each place there is a row of seven weather icons, one for each day of the week. You can swipe up and down the list if not all your places fit on one page. Tap any weather icon to navigate to the DAY OVERVIEW or METEOGRAM pages of that place and day.
- DAY OVERVIEW
- The forecast for one day is shown for the current place, including the rainSPOT. Use the hour slider below the center of the screen to run through the forecast hour-by-hour. Move this slider to its rightmost position to see a summary display for the day. Use the day slider at the bottom of the screen to run through the forecasts day by day. You can return to the MAP page by pressing the BACK button at the top left of the screen. Or, tap the graph icon at the top center right to navigate to the METEOGRAM page.
- The main forecast parameters (temperature, precipitation, cloud cover, and wind) are shown as curves or icons on a meteogram. Use the slider at the bottom of the screen to run through the forecast day by day. Alternatively, swipe the meteogram to the left or right to navigate from day to day. You can return to the MAP with the BACK button, or go to the DAY OVERVIEW pressing the sun icon at the top.
- PLACE LIST
- This is the page where you manage your places as you manage lists in any other iPhone application. Search for a predefined place, add a place, change the order in which places appear on the WEEK OVERVIEW page, change the name of a place, or delete a place.
General information about meteo4me can be found on the information page (i), where a link to these help pages (?) is available.
Map Page Θ
You can add forecast locations in meteo4me in three ways, two of which work on the MAP screen (the third is available on the WEEK OVERVIEW page).
- Locate Me: To get the weather forecast for where you are right now, just tap the Locate Me button in the upper left corner. The iPhone pans the map such that your position is at the center and marks it. Tap '+' at the top of the screen and then 'Done' to save your position as a new place on your place list. meteo4me checks its database to see if your position corresponds to a predefined place. If this is the case, meteo4me stores that place in your place list; otherwise, it creates a new place and calls it "Unknown". You can change that name on the PLACE LIST page. This function works wherever you have GPS reception - in any place of the earth.
- Define your own place: To get the weather forecast for any location on land or water, pan and zoom the map to show the desired location at the center of the screen. Tap '+'. A pin will mark the center. Tap-hold-drag the pin until it is exactly where you want it. meteo4me checks its database to see if the pin's position corresponds to a predefined place. If this is the case, meteo4me labels the pin with that place name; otherwise, it labels the pin with "Unknown".
- Tap-hold-drag the pin to a different place if needed. Tap 'Done'. meteo4me stores the place in your place list, loads its weather forecast and displays it on the map.
Week overview page Ξ
The WEEK OVERVIEW page shows the weather development at all your places during the next six days. If the places are in very different time zones from where you currently are, some places may only show forecasts for five days because the day may have already ended in the early time zones.
Tap '+' to add one of five million predefined places. The SEARCH page appears. On the search screen select the country in which to search and type the place's name, or part of its name. A list of places will appear if more than one place name matches your search. Select the place you want. meteo4me adds the selected place to your place list and displays it at the top of the WEEK OVERVIEW page. Please note that the number of locations is limited, to facilitate handling and to ensure swift uploading of new weather data.
To change the order in which your places are shown, to change or delete one of your place names, tap 'Edit' (the pencil button) at the top left. This opens the PLACE LIST page in the standard iPhone way.
Day overview page ☼
The DAY OVERVIEW page shows the hourly forecast for one day. The name and altitude of the current place are shown at the top. The day's overall weather is indicated with an icon on the left. Below the icon date, minimum and maximum temperatures, probability of precipitations (PoP), and maximum speed of wind gusts are given.
To the right you can find a speciality of meteo4me, the rainSPOT: It shows a small map (chose location is at the centre) with expected precipitation intensity levels (out of 4 intensity levels) at and around the current place.
Tap the graph icon at the top to navigate to the METEOGRAM page. To go back to the WEEK OVERVIEW page tap the back arrow at the left top.
The METEOGRAM page shows hourly forecast data as a set of icons and curves. Name and altitude of the current place are shown at the top, with the date given below. The following 2 lines show the minimum and maximum temperatures (in red) and the probability of precipitation (PoP) in grey.
The upper diagram panel shows low, middle, and high cloud covers (icons) in 4 densities (5-25%, 25-50%, 50-75% and >75% coverage), intensities and types of precipitations (icons), temperatures (red curve), and the probabilities of precipitations (grey curve) in hourly intervals.
The lower diagram panel shows the wind directions (arrows), speeds (light blue curve), and wind gust speeds (blue curve).
You can configure meteo4me: Select "Settings" on your iPhone, and then meteo4me. You can change the measurement units and system for the parameters:
- Temperature: Celsius (°C) or Fahrenheit (°F);
- Distance: metric (kilometers, meters) or imperial (miles, feet).
For the iPhone you can also choose whether meteo4me should use the GPS location service to detect your current position.
Tips & Tricks
Find a place for which you can't remember the name
Tap the Locate Me button in the upper left corner. The iPhone pans the map such that your position is at the center and marks it. Tap '+' at the top of the screen. A pin will mark your position at the center. Tap-hold-drag the pin until it is exactly where you want it. meteo4me checks its database to see if the pin's position corresponds to a predefined place. If this is the case, meteo4me labels the pin with that place name; otherwise, it labels the pin with "Unknown". Tap-hold-drag the pin to a different place if needed. Tap 'Done'. meteo4me stores the place in your place list, loads its weather forecast, and displays it on the map.
How to navigate
You are viewing your place list and want not navigate directly to the DAY OVERVIEW or the METEOGRAM. With mete☼4me that's easy: If you touch a weather symbol of any place, you will go directly either to the DAY OVERVIEW or METEOGRAM. To set the default direction, navigate to the desired screen (DAY or METEOGRAM) and return directly to the LOCATION list with the BACK button. If you touch any weather symbol in the LOCATION LIST, the last selected screen for this place will appear.
How can I create a sequence of places?
When you need forecast for road or trail you are on, use the map and the "AIM" (circle) button to locate your position and save places along the road or trail.
If you require weather forecasts along a hiking trail, road, or train or shipping line, navigate along the stretch on the map, use the "+" symbol (with the "pin") to mark a couple of places along the selected stretch. The locations are named automatically if there are nearby places. Otherwise you can name the places themselves in the place list, by choosing EDIT (the "pencil").
meteo4me has been tested on all iPhone types and with all available Operating systems. However, there may be combinations of factors which we could not reproduce or which are caused by users-side configuration.
- Terminate the running APP:
- press the Home button twice, until the Multitasking Bar (from OS 4 upwards) appears on the bottom of the screen. Then press one of the icons, until all APP symbols start to shake. Now the desired program can be terminated by pressing on the red (-) symbol.
- Delete the Icon from the Desktop:
- press Home button until the APP symbols begin to shake. Then delete the desired APP by pressing the black (X) symbol on the APP.
- Re-install the APP:
- call the program "AppStore" on the iPhone, select the desired APP, and follow the instructions for re-installing. For a paid APP, there will be a request for payment. An APP which has been purchased already will NOT be charged again, the re-installation does therefore not add any costs.
If Step 1 is not followed, the old version of the APP appears to be deleted, but may actually remain on the iPhone, although it appears that it has been replaced.
Updating the weather information
Upon opening meteo4me, the application searches for the latest weather data. The data loading process will be interrupted under the following circumstances:
- If no internet connection is available;
- If the user changes the setup or locations during the loading process;
- If the user switches between applications during the loading process;
- If data have been loaded less than 1 hour before that.
Under certain circumstances, the interruption can lead to the closure of the APP. In this case, simply restart it. If the closure occurs repeatedly, prevent the above listed circumstances from occurring. If this does not help, reinstall the APP or contact us.