FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- When are the models updated?
- My place is at higher (lower) elevation than the forecast. How do I adjust the forecast temperature?
- How can I create a new location, which is not in the meteoblue database?
- What to do with a bad internet connection
- How to login or register?
- Is meteoblue going to change website design every year?
- Will the meteoblue website continue to be offered for free?
- Will meteoblue be offering a meteoblue mobile App?
- Does meteoblue only supply weather forecasts?
- Are meteoblue services specialized for meteorologists?
- Why does meteoblue offer a free website?
- Why is the „normal“ website not available on smartphones and why does the app open instead?
- Advertising hides the weather images!?
When are the models updated?
meteoblue forecast have 3 update timings:
1. The continental model update: at least twice a day;
2. The regional model update: at least twice a day; follows the continental model update calculation;
3. The local adaptation: at the time of the query after the place selection.
maps are updated directly from the models, usually 2 times daily. The update timing given is the time of model initialization (when the calculation begins) in UTC.
point data is updated at least 4 times daily. For Picto-cast, Tables and spot, the update timing is given in local time (valid at the selected location), and shown at the lower edge of the (detail) forecast page. For Meteograms and other prefessional service tools, the update timing is given in UTC, to allow analysis and comparisons across time zones.
More information can be found here.
My place is at higher (lower) elevation than the forecast. How do I adjust the forecast temperature?
The meteoblue local forecast shows you the elevation of the region for which the temperature and wind forecasts are valid. To adapt the forecast to your own location, subtract 1°C for every 100 m of elevation, or 0.5°C per 100 m of elevation if the air is saturated (>99% humidity). Under temperature inversions (stable low hanging clouds with no wind for several days - typical for the winter), temperatures will rise with elevation, and be higher above the cloud layer than below.
How can I create a new location, which is not in the meteoblue database?
Our users can now create and exchange their own places, using location favourites : these provide registered users the ability to store any coordinates with a self-selected name as a location . This is the procedure:
- Click on the location search box, so that the map appears. You can also enter coordinates in the search box.
- Move the location cursor to the desired position by clicking on the map. Once the cursor points to the exact location which you want, then click on "weather for this location”. The forecast for the selected position will appear (Note: you can also reach the desired location by pasting the coordinates into the location search box).
- Now click on the star behind the headline with the coordinates text. A confirmation that the coordinate has been added to the favourites will appear.
- To name the coordinate, the favourites list can be selected in the user menu - which opens which clicking on the user icon in the upper right corner of the page. A list of saved favourites should now appear.
- By clicking on the appropriate editing symbol, the individual attributes (altitude, names of the place, etc.) can now be adjusted.
Important: The altitude above sea level (in meters) is important for a correct forecast, especially for the temperature. The altitude is automatically selected by the system, based on average altitude of the grid cell. If this is not accurate, you can correct the altitude in the favourites management.
What to do with a bad internet connection
meteoblue.com is designed for use with an average bandwith (1-6MBit/s). Suggestions for operating with a reduced charging rate can be found on internet connection.
How to login or register?
After the free registration, you can login with your username and password:
1. On the meteoblue start page, you click on the “person” icon on the upper right corner (between the wind icon and the flag).
2. Then you will see the “Login or register”-page.
3. Go now to “Register” on the right part of the page.
4. For the registration, you need a valid email address.
5. You can now register for free with a self-selected username and password.
6. For security reasons, you need to enter your password twice (“password” and “confirm password”).
7. Before you click on “Register”, you can subscribe to our newsletter and you need to accept the meteoblue terms and conditions.
8. After the registration process, you will get a confirmation email.
1. After you got the confirmation email, you can login to the meteoblue website.
2. On the meteoblue start page, you click on the “person” icon on the upper right corner (between the wind icon and the flag).
3. Then you will see the “Login or register”-page.
4. Go now to “Login”.
5. Enter your username (or email address) and your password.
6. Before you login, you can select “Remember me” (you will be logged in automatically).
7. Click on “Login”
Is meteoblue going to change website design every year?
No. We hope to have laid the basis for several years of further enrichment and growth of new website, and made it so adaptable to the mobile world, that only additions and minor changes should be necessary over the next 3 years. If devices and usage continues to change, we will strive to adapt our offer or to create new offers for user groups with special needs.
Will the meteoblue website continue to be offered for free?
Yes, our goal is to never take away, and always add new offers, without adding cost. The current offer will remain free-of-charge, and free registration will be offered to facilitate use. We will also continue to enrich our professional point+ subscription and business services and add further offers in collaboration with our partners.
Will meteoblue be offering a meteoblue mobile App?
meteoblue already supports several mobile apps by supplying our high precision data. With our new website, we have created improved accessibility for major classes of mobile devices, which enables all functions available also on the meteoblue website. If you are missing functionality on your mobile device, please write us with a description of what you need.
Does meteoblue only supply weather forecasts?
Calculation of high precision weather data and images is our core competence. Over the past years, meteoblue has built the largest hourly weather archive available online with more than 30 years of historical data based on these simulations, starting in 1984 (Status January 2018) and covering every point on Earth. Over the coming years, meteoblue will continue to significantly increase the historical range of data, and offer more history and climate services based on this unique data array. We have are also continuously adding observation and measurement data to our offer.
Are meteoblue services specialized for meteorologists?
meteoblue services can be used by anyone with an internet connection. We produce one of the largest daily datasets amongst all private weather providers, and we display in a very localized way, so every user can easily find pertinent information, from parents planning their school walks to mountaineers planning their tours and paragliders plotting a competition strategy. For businesses, we offer one of the richest, largest and most precise weather dataset available. We verify and document our precision continuously, so any user and customer can verify the quality of the data they are using.
Why does meteoblue offer a free website?
meteoblue produces one of the largest volumes of precision weather data available daily. We produce so many meteorological data for the next days, now and the past that we want to share these data with a larger public.
Our professional services are based on the same dataset as the public website: they give direct access to many more data, and our website allows professional users to study the performance of our services to decide on their use, and also to test their systems and data transmission by comparing the datafeeds they receive with what is displayed on our website.
The terra-bytes of data that we produce daily are controlled by many systems, but can not be completely monitored to the last bit, neither automatically nor manually. With one of the largest weather website offers, we give our users and customers equally the possibility to verify our information, to report errors and to suggest improvements to our offer.
Why is the „normal“ website not available on smartphones and why does the app open instead?
When accessing the website via smartphone the mobile site opens, which automatically adapts to the screen size. It`s possible to use all functions and services of meteoblue with the mobile site. But the mobile site doesn´t correspond to our iPhone app. Currently an Android app is not available.
Advertising hides the weather images!?
When changing the view in some browsers, the weather information is sometimes overlaid by advertising banners: this issue is caused by our advertising provider, and unfortunately we have no influence on this invonvenience, for which we apologize.
The fix is easy for you: reload the web page with CTRL+R.